Winter weather can be unpredictable, and even a small amount of snow or ice can make driving conditions treacherous. If you live in Texas, you know that winter weather driving conditions can be challenging. Here are some helpful tips to keep you safe on the roads this winter:
- Check the forecast before you head out. If the forecast calls for snow or ice, consider whether your trip is essential.
- Slow down and allow yourself extra time to reach your destination.
- Be sure to increase your following distance, keeping back from the vehicle in front of you.
- Use your headlights, even during the day.
- Pay attention to bridges and overpasses, which tend to freeze first.
- Don’t use your cruise control.
- Don’t rely on 4-wheel drive to keep you safe – it won’t help you stop any faster on icy roads.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable winter season on the roads.
Vehicle Maintenance for Your Car to Prep for Rainy Days
Driving in the rain can be treacherous, but a little vehicle maintenance can go a long way in keeping you safe on the road. Here are a few tips to help prep your car for rainy days:
- First, make sure your windshield wipers are in good condition. Old, worn-out wipers will streak your windshield and make it difficult to see. If your wipers are more than a year old, or if they’ve been making noise or leaving streaks, it’s time for new ones.
- Second, check your tires. Make sure they’re properly inflated and have enough tread to grip the road in wet conditions. If you’re not sure how to check tread depth, most tire shops will do it for free. And if it turns out you need new tires, don’t wait until it’s raining to install them – that’s a recipe for disaster.
- Finally, keep your windshield clean both inside and out. A dirty windshield will make it harder to see, while a dirty interior will make it harder to concentrate on the road. So give yourself a clear view by wiping down your windshield before you head out in the rain.
By following these simple tips, you can help ensure that you’ll be safe on the road – no matter what Mother Nature throws your way.
Should You Drive In Treacherous Weather?
When the weather worsens, it’s vital for drivers to recognize the potential dangers. If the weather reduces your visibility and puts you in harm’s way, you should avoid driving completely. Consider pulling over to the side of the road and waiting for the weather to move passed your location so that you can stay safe.
Consider the weather conditions before going out and driving anywhere. Rain can make the roads slippery, and it’s easy for you to hydroplane and lose control in difficult situations.
Are Drivers Liable for Crashes Involving Weather Conditions?
The short answer is yes. Even when inclement weather conditions are involved in causing a crash, drivers must ensure that they can keep themselves and others on the road safe. If the driver fails to exercise caution or fails to properly maintain their vehicle, they can cause some of the most severe crashes.
Drivers can be held accountable for a crash, regardless of the weather conditions. If you suffer an injury in a weather-related crash, be sure to speak with a lawyer about your options.
At Houssiere Durant & Houssiere, LLP, our Houston car accident lawyers will help you understand your rights and options. We pursue maximum compensation for our clients when it matters most to them. You can trust that we’ll stand by your side every step of the way.